Monday, December 25, 2006

A Quick Reminder

Of how this game hits right back at you even when you are relaxed and getting well into the game.

I decided to play a value $200 at 3am with 145 players and started well and progressed my 1500 stack to about 2500 at low levels. I'll then list the key hands and review just how lucky/unlucky i was:

1) blinds 25,50 i caller i call with A4std on the button and sb makes it min raise to 100, bb folds.
Flop is A53 and sb bets pot of 350, he only has another 600 left over so if he holds the ace i have outs and if he doesnt obviously its mine so i push in and he calls with A7. I catch a 2 on the turn and im on about 3200 instead of the 1100 i might have been on.

I reraise a couple of pots and steal 1 or 2 others and progress my stack up to about 5k max then:

2) blinds 50,100 a 1500 chippie moves allin with 68std i call with QQ on the button and lose to a straight flush, pot was to have gone 2nd/83 at the time (pays to 18). In about 12th only when i lose that one.

3) blinds of 100,200 and im playing 3500 when button holding a stack of 2800 raises to 600. I move allin in the sb with J4std and he folds, stack now 4500 approx.

4) 2 hands later i raise with JJ in the cutoff to 600 and the sb who has me covered moves allin at the speed of light, i put him on AK and call as i know a big stack could secure a deep place and also he could have AQ or even a lower pocket. he shows AK and i hold to go 1/60

5) holding AQ i reraise a 600 raise to 2000 but he pushes in for 3400 total. I call and vs QQ i lose a huge 7k pot that would have put me 1/50 on 3 times the average chips and about 4k above my nearest rival !!!

6) Im left mid pack again in about 14th which was similar to my stack after the QQ loss above but there are less players left, i decide ill prob tighten up for a bit. But no, the nutter with the only allin move pushes for 3400 when the blinds are 150,300 and ive got AQstd in the sb. I call and im against 9,10off this time but he hits a straight to my flopped pair and i lose another huge 7500 pot leaving me this time, left on only 3000 chips.

7) Next hand on button ive got 55 and move allin but the sb rock that hasnt played a hand decides to commit his last 2k to his 150sb with only K10off and of course hits 2 10s to let me lose another ok sized pot of 4500 leaving me on just over 1000.

8) The very next hand (honest) i pick up AK and there is a short stack of 1k allin and a call and i obviously push and the bb also calls so good value pot if i can hit and get right back in with about 4500. Im up against 2 big chips that chk the whole way through and im looking good until the big chip bets the river 8 which he has trips with. Other short stack had AJ so that river sums that destruction of the tournament up really.


So i crash out in 46th and get a stark reminder of how the cards come back at you straight after a nice package win. Im lucky to have won that package but i certainly wasnt as lucky as i feel the above was unlucky. Anyway rant over im not pissed off because of the result earlier, just gutted. Payouts at the top for this tourney were:
1) 15000$
2) 10000$
3) 6000$


Still, failing a bad run im on for my 2nd best profit month of the year and thats without the package so its a huge month really for me in terms of potential for the future more than anything else.

No comments: